Someplace for me to write, and my family and friends to read, about what's going on with my life.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Weather, fires and the gym

It's getting cold here. How cold? About 4 degrees Celsius, or, hmm... 4 multiplied by nine-fifths, plus thirty-two...carry the one... well, it's cold. I have been getting away with wearing a long-sleeved shirt and my jacket, but today walking home I realized that I probably need to start throwing one more layer in there somewhere. I haven't worn my hat or gloves yet. I sure don't want to be the first one wearing them, screaming "foreigner!" I would rather freeze.

I've read a bit about the fires in Southern California. I hope all my friends and family there are safe, and don't have to evacuate. At first, I only heard about the Malibu fire. I went to read an update, and it was all about San Diego. Then I checked a map, and holy cow! Is there any part of So Cal that isn't burning? It looks pretty bad.

I have been going to the gym. I joined in January, went off and on, but have been going pretty regularly for the last 6 months or so. The gym is called SATS, and is the largest chain in Norway, presumably the largest in Scandinavia/the Nordic region (Finland isn't really Scandinavia). I signed up for a class called "SATS Dans", "dans" meaning - can you guess? - dance. It's a half-hour class, with about 5 or 6 different songs and routines. It's all in Norwegian, but I just follow along with what everyone else is doing. I try to go to the gym three times a week, and as a result of going at least twice in the last 8 weeks, I got a free travel coffee mug.

At least now I'll have something to keep my hands warm before I pull out the gloves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Fred, The only place it's not burning is Victorville but the smoke. Just like a campfire that you can't get away from. We had the boys yesterday and are they funny. I don't think they know how funny there are. They were good, took them to a pumpkin patch and they had fun getting toy spiders but not so much pumpkin picking. Oh well. Good job at the gym. Maria and I go twice a week and have been for over a year. It's hard at times but we do it.

Later
Love
Dad